myblog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

What did you say?

I just recently read Bridget Jones’ Diary. It was hilarious. I did not like the movie at all. But the book was really something. I felt I could relate to it. She has all the issues of a ‘normal’ girl/woman. It was funny to see things from her perspective. That said, all our lives, and therefore journals, will probably not be so entertaining.

I used to maintain a diary too when I was younger. I thought it cleared my mind to write things out. But, I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was mainly self-indulgent, self-depreciating, with brutally honest feelings, which increased self-loathing, and it was a vicious cycle! I plainly forgot to include all the positive things, which shows I did not think much of it. Thank God, I stopped writing into a diary and started blogs. (At least here I am responsible for my words and aware that people will be reading things I think!)



We know good and proper communication with others is very important. But we fail when we do not communicate well with ourselves. How many people know that treating ourselves the way we want others to treat us will actually boost our confidence and self-worth and makes us accept and value ourselves more? Words really do have power. Try and start saying positive things today. It might actually benefit you.

Except a few supremely confident individuals (and good communicators), many of us are quite bad at expressing ourselves-thoughts and emotions. We say things, which we don’t mean, say in tone we didn't intend, we make less of our intense emotions so as to not show our vulnerability, we make more of our emotions that actually do not matter and we become defensive at perceived wrong reactions; in short, we are quite touchy! I know I am, and a few people I know are. I am super sensitive. It has stopped me from saying so many things or even broaching subjects that will reveal my inner squishy-ness. I am touchy to the point of squirming in my seat, thinking I might be the cause of another person’s discomfort!

Well, we cannot possibly try and make people understand everything we say, the way we thought. There are possibilities that we will be taken wrongly, anyway, whatever we say, depending on the issue, person, situation, subjective prejudices, etc, as there are always two sides to any debate. But, that’s when good communication comes into picture. It is so hard to not go off on a tangent and say things with cryptic meanings (code to which only you have!) and expect people to understand it magically!

I had a professor who was such a good orator and stressed upon assertive communication. Very tough for me! But, somehow I feel better writing a blog about it. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I think part of communication is intuitive {mostly} from reading body language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halley,

    Umm.. yeah one-to-one is. But what about communicating with a bunch of people?

    ReplyDelete