myblog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Contention of contentment

Its raining outside.

Rains always make me contemplative. I was contemplating about contentment today.

I know a few very successful people. They seem to have everything in their lives. I know success is subjective. But take your pick from the following. They are creative geniuses, quirky, dorky, fun, entertaining, adventurous, fire brand, ever enthusiastic, own a lot of media space online in all fields, volunteering for non-profit, have already been around the world at least once, have friends from all countries all over the world, and last but not least, they are still finding numerous new things to do, always! Did I say they are also earning lots and happy with their jobs?

Well, I am envious! I have to be a saint to not be. I want to be successful (love, career, money, creative outlet, spirituality, travel, etc, in approximately that order for me) too. And, when I have all that, I want luxury for the rest of my life. I guess, according to the vedas (the 4 ashramas), at this point in life , I can be materialistic (to a point) if I want.
Note: We are just too greedy to be happy with what we have (which according to some others is quite enough!) And, unfortunately, even enough is not enough till some later point in life and after much realization.
I admit, nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. Also, shooting for the moon is theoretical, but not practical.

So, I was thinking, what does contentment feel like? It is said that contentment comes with experience. When you have seen and done all, you have had enough. You are content. That is when you seek sanctuary in not just soul searching, but also try to seek the ultimate truth. I wish there was a shortcut to contentment. Or maybe that's the whole point. There is no shortcut.

I don't know what the ultimate truth is (I have my doubts). For today, I am just contemplating.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, girl!

    For me, contentment stems from happiness and ACCEPTANCE... acceptance that even though things may not be ''perfect'' or that I may not be ''perfect'', every day, I'm trying my very best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrine,

    Acceptance is what I am working on always, but the "I'm trying my level best" part, is what is confusing to me (I really don't know, if I am!). :)

    Thanks for stopping by and introducing me to your blog!

    ReplyDelete