myblog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The English Patient


I watched The English Patient (1996). It is such a beautifully made movie by director Anthony Minghella. It is a story made from the novel of the same name by Michael Ondaatje.

The movie is the story of a Hungarian Count, Almasy (Ralph Fiennes, wonderful Voldemort!), who is cared for by American allies during the World War II. I can't actually remember too much of who and what happened in the real war. In this movie, Almasy is an archaeologist and is on an expedition in Egypt and Libya. He has an affair with a married English woman. The story reveals his anguish, hurt and pain due to the course of events that unfold in his life as a result of it. Juliette Binnoche, Kristin Scott Thomas, Colin Firth and William Dafoe are the other actors.

Well, I am a sucker for romantic dramas. But, this post is mainly for my love of music. I especially liked this Hungarian folk song, which is played so many times in the movie. It is hauntingly beautiful!



Sometimes, music seems so meaningful without even understanding the words. As someone said "you don't need words for the music; you just need a soul". Sometimes it appeals to us because of our pathos when we listened to the song for the first time. But, somehow, I have a feeling that regardless of the movie, I would have still loved this song, if I ever came across it. I can find the words and meaning of the song. But, I do not want to. I would leave it as it is. So beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment