myblog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Yoga

I have always been quite lazy when it comes to exercises. I am still in the look out for the custom-made workout routine for me, something that doesn't bore me and something that I will look forward to doing every time rather than in spurts. I have tried different things that are light and engaging like in here

A friend of mine, kept reminding me of Yoga for feeling better and for weight loss. I was procrastinating. Many years ago, I had taken up Yoga classes. So, one day I was just like, why not try? I started doing some stretching and a few exercises again watching videos on the internet along with remembering things I had been taught. I am immediately re-addicted to it. It has so much goodness to it. I can't wait to get up to do it early morning everyday. Why did I ever stop in the first place?!


I used to go regularly at 5.30 in the morning everyday and do Pranayama (breathing exercises) and asanas (exercises and postures). I was always a believer in the positivity of Yoga, but I turned into a follower after attending these classes.

My yoga master would teach us so many things and talk about what health benefits can be obtained from each posture. It was light and also rigorous. It used to be slow and rhythmic. It was testing your capacity to literally stretch yourself! It was addictive and would give a heady rush of energy. In fact, it would keep me on my toes all day and I used to look forward to going to the classes again next day.

Some immediate improvements I noticed after a month or 2 (I continued for maybe another few months after this and stopped) of this routine were:

1. Mindful eating: It definitely made me think twice about stuffing my mouth with junk food. I would be mindful in a good way, not obsessed about food/diet, like noticing the "eating pause" and stopping, eating little mouthfuls, and always listening to my stomach, not brain.

2. Lightness: I know it is impossible to suddenly lose kilos of weight. No, this is the feeling of lightness. I was light on my feet (some said bouncy). My joints were much more flexible. I could bend in weird ways (truly)! It is a beautiful feeling.

3. Appetite: My appetite reduced a lot. As I said, I would think before eating, which is a good thing. I would prefer to eat light foods rather than fried, heavy ones and eating lots.

4. Energy: I had an increased level of energy. I would be willing to walk to places close by rather than take my bike. I would be mindful of sitting idle for too long. I would just bounce up and run chores and errands than sit in a place for too long.

5. Toning: Yes, I got a lot more toned. It looked like I had lost weight. The number on the scale did not show much difference immediately, but I could feel myself fitting better into clothes. And I could finally see that I had some muscle, not a lot though. (Weight loss occurred slowly after many months of stopping the exercises! )

Yoga is a superior form of exercise, which gives balance, fluidity and energizes the chakras in the body. It is extremely helpful for a peaceful and relaxed mind. It de-stresses the body and mind by releasing endorphins. It makes one mindful of their own body and take care of it. And the best part of it is you get toned, your stamina increases and affects your over all well being. It is a good and safe method to lose weight too for people with weight issues. But then weight is just an insignificant little detail when you see so many other positive benefits from yoga.

It is always best to follow the instructions of the Yoga master/instructor so as to avoid injuries and in case of other health problems.

Yoga definitely is a form worth trying.

Look out next for my few favorite exercises in yoga. Please bear in mind, I am a novice. Not at all an expert. I maybe wrong technically. I am just sharing my personal experience here.

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic. I find it hard to concentrate when I do Yoga but this definitely makes me want to try again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Halley. Its always best do it when you are not in a hurry. That way your concentration can be on the exercise. Its impossible to do Yoga without paying attention. :)

    ReplyDelete