myblog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Avocado chapathis

So what's for dinner tonight?

Cooking is always interesting as well as challenging (want to try out new things often) for me. But I lose enthusiasm very quickly with elaborate cooking methods and recipes that require slogging for hours in the kitchen. Despite what people might say, I say its not worth it, even if it tastes like heaven! Cooking should be fun and enjoyable too, I think.

I like variety and get bored very easily. Since a few days, I have been making rotis/chapathis for dinner. I was really bored of rice dishes. I was going through some brilliant food recipes website for inspiration. Lo and behold! I found Tofu chapathis!

And well, guess what! I ended up making Avocado chapathis. (This maybe new only to me! *blush*)

What you need-

Atta (wheat flour)
Milk (optional)
1 Avocado
Salt
and a few vessels

What to do-

This is similar to making rotis/chapathis. Add the avocado pulp (feels nice to pulp it with your hands), salt and flour in a round bowl. I used milk to knead the dough to get a soft consistency. You can use water if you like. Then as usual make chapathis out of it using rolling pin. Bake it on a heated pan with very little oil. Voila! Avocado chapathis ready. No major change in taste or look. But, well it is so simple, so soft and gets ready in minutes.



I made Daal makhani (thick, spicy lentil soup with butter) to go with it. You may like palak paneer, kurma, chole, bhindi masala, etc, to go with it.

I think making chapathis using that fully ripe banana or mango (which is horrible to eat) in the same way should be given a try. It might taste a little funnily sweet. Of course, you can always improvise upon this recipe by adding spices [like jeera (cumin), coriander seeds/powder etc], chilli powder/ green chillies, onion, garlic, etc and making it a wholesome parartha.

Beware: Avocado chapathis and Daal makhani is a dangerously fattening but deliciously mouth-watering combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment